No products in the cart.
Boost Hair, Nails, and Skin
Biotin is a B7 vitamin that is easily found in food that helps the body to change the food into energy. Biotin supplements are beneficial for everyone, as it plays an important role in our health. It comes in many variations that are Oil, Powder, Tablets, Capsules, Gummies, Shampoo, and Conditioner. Here you get to know how each form works and which is suitable for you. How much biotin is available in these forms, and more.
Biotin is the best health and beauty care supplement, especially for Nails, Hair, and Skin. It boosts the hair and nail’s health if taken as a nutrient.
For broken nails, if you take a biotin supplement of dosage 2.5 mg (2500 mcg) for regular 6 months then it improves your nails by making their health good and strong in nature. The thickness is increased by 25% if you took biotin supplements for nails daily according to the research.
a.What are the nail problems that you are facing?
The nail problem can cause to anyone whether it is men, women, or children. The causes that you see are brittle nails, week nails, broken nails, and more. This happens when there is a deficiency of Biotin B7.
Take biotin for hair growth. The persistent use of biotin will assist in skin & hair regrowth.The food sources of biotin are nuts like almonds, peanuts, pecans & walnuts, organ meats, egg yolk, soybeans & legumes, whole grains and cereals, cauliflower and bananas.
a. Why do you need to take biotin for hair?
Hair problems are a very sensitive thing to women and they are curious about their hairs. Some hair problems are common and some are so rare. Here, you get to know about both. These are the hair problems that happen when you are biotin deficient. These problems are:-
- Your hairs take longer time than usual to dry
- Your hairs are dry and not flexible after doing the deep conditioning
- When your hairs lose its definition that it is too light and won’t form curls using a curler
- If your hairs are frizzy and you are not able to manage it using the styling
- When your hairs are becoming lighter in color, thinner, or scattered.
3. Biotin for Glowing Skin
When a person is B7 deficient then it shows to their skin as scaly rashes in red color. To cure this deficiency you must take the Biotin supplement dosage according to your age regularly for some time. Also, consult your physician in case of any serious cause before taking any biotin dosage.
a. What are the skin problems that you are facing?
The deficiency of biotin in infants causes infantile seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. Sometimes it resolves without any treatment. Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) and riboflavin (Vitamin B2)cause skin dysfunction or seborrheic dermatitis due to the importance of vitamins B in protein metabolism and fatty acid.
How Biotin works or supply in our body?
In our body, a nutrition supply is done through a life cycle that is shown here:-
The nutrients supply is done equally in your all body parts. With the person’s age, the body becomes vitamins and nutrients deficient day-by-day according to age. The body starts sending the nutrients and vitamins to the important body parts first and then supplies them to the lesser important parts of the body. When the deficiency becomes larger then body supply is only restricted to the important parts of the body.
This affects our many body parts that include Skin, Hair, and Nails. So, here comes work of biotin supplement that helps the body to change the unused fats into energy and supply it to that un-important or restricted body parts. This helps to restore the damages done to your skin, hair, and nails.
Biotin helps in making keratin in your body that is the essential kind of protein for your skin, nails, and hairs. The keratin is the main element that makes up your nails, hair, and skin.
Biotin Function: Biotinylation
Biotinylation is called biotin labeling or tagging that is the process of attaching the biotin to the molecule of protein and other macromolecules. The term biotinylation refers to the covalent addition to any other molecules that include the histones and apocarboxylases.
What are the food sources of biotin?
Foods as liver, eggs yolk, yeast, cheese, sardines, soybeans, milk, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms, peanuts, walnuts, and almonds
1. Egg Yolks- The yolk of the egg is rich in biotin. In 50 grams of whole cooked egg, you get 10 mcg of biotin or 33% of the daily value. For consumption, you have to cook the whole egg that helps in improving the biotin absorption and reducing the risk of salmonella poisoning. If you eat raw egg whites then the avidin protein found in them interferes with the absorption of biotin. Use eggs scrambled, hard-boiled, baked to make dishes like cakes, muffins, waffles, pancakes, etc. , , 
2. Legumes- Legumes include lentils, beans, and peas that are rich in micronutrients, fiber, and proteins. In this category the biotin you get from peanuts and soybeans. In 1 ounce that is 28 grams of roasted peanuts have 5 mcg of biotin or 17 % of the daily value. The soybeans of 3/4 cup or 100 gram of serving have 64% of the daily value or 19.3 mcg of biotin. , , 
3. Nuts and Seeds- Most of the nuts and seeds provide biotin also as they are rich in protein, fiber, and unsaturated fat. The biotin you get in 1/4 cup that is 20 grams of roasted sunflower seed is 2.6 mcg or you can say 10% of the daily value. In 1/4 cup that is 30 grams of roasted almonds contains 1.5 mcg of biotin or 5% of the daily value. You can eat it mixed with dishes or stir-fries, raw, blended to homemade nuts, seed butter, or tossed into salads. , 
4. Liver- The liver or some organ meats are high in biotin. Logically, most of the biotin is stored in the liver. You can eat liver fried with onions, chopped and cooked to top pasta dishes, and minced in homemade burger patties. In the cooked beef liver of 3 ounces (75 grams), you get 31 mcg of biotin and 103% of the daily value. In the cooked chicken liver of 3 ounces (75 grams), you get 138 mcg of biotin and 460% of the daily value. , 
5. Sweet Potatoes- This vegetable is a good source of protein that you get 2.4 mcg of biotin in a serving of cooked half (1/2) cup or 125 grams as an 8% of the daily value. You can eat it by microwave or baked it until soft, peel, and mash or boil it to add it into veggie burger patties or eat normally. , , 
6. Mushrooms- You can have raw mushrooms baked, sauté, added to salads, stuffed and baked, canned mushrooms can be used with noodles, sauces, pizzas, and gravies. By consuming it you get 2.6 mcg of biotin in canned mushrooms serving 20 caps or 120 grams with 10 % of the daily value. The chopped button mushrooms give you 19% of the daily value that is 5.6 mcg of biotin in a serving of 1 cup or 70 grams. , , , 
7. Bananas- Bananas are packed with fiber, micronutrients (copper, potassium, vitamin B), and carbohydrates. You can eat bananas as raw, add in smoothies, freeze and make non-dairy ice creams, and spread nut butter on bananas. It provides o.2 mcg of biotin in small 105 grams of banana. The daily value is 1%. , , 
8. Broccoli- You get biotin by consuming broccoli and it also contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, fiber, and Calcium. You can eat it roasted with olive oil or seasoning, raw with any kind of dip, steamed sautéed and added to any dish like pasta or casseroles, and blended into soups. In half (1/2) cup that is 45 grams of raw broccoli, you get 0.4 mcg of biotin that is 1% of the daily value. , , 
9. Yeast- There are 2 types of yeast brewer’s or nutritional yeast and both provides biotin. The amount may vary from company to company. The brewer yeast is also known as dry active yeast that provides biotin 1.4 mcg in a standard 2.25 teaspoon (7 grams) and 5% of the daily value. The nutritional yeast provides 21 mcg of biotin per 2 tablespoons (16 grams) servings or you can say 69% of the daily value. , 
10. Avocados- It is a good source of biotin and also rich in unsaturated fats and foliates. You can eat it raw, mashed, and applied to toast, burritos, or soup. In 200 grams of avocado, you get at least 1.85 mcg of biotin or you can say 6% of the daily value. 
11. Salmon- It has healthy fats that prevent hair loss and the fat is omega-3. A 3 ounce of cooked salmon consists of 5 mcg biotin.
12. Dairy- The biotin is available in dairy products like yogurt, milk, cheese, etc in different amounts. A cup of plain yogurt has 0.2 mcg of biotin, a cup of 2% milk consists of 0.3 mcg of biotin, and 1 ounce of cheddar cheese gives you 0.4 mcg of biotin.
|Food||Micrograms (mcg) per serving||Percent Daily Value|
|Beef liver, cooked, 3 ounces||30.8||103|
|Egg, whole, cooked||10.0||33|
|Salmon, pink, canned in water, 3 ounces||5.0||17|
|Pork chop, cooked, 3 ounces||3.8||13|
|Hamburger patty, cooked, 3 ounces||3.8||13|
|Sunflower seeds, roasted, ¼ cup||2.6||9|
|Sweet potato, cooked, ½ cup||2.4||8|
|Almonds, roasted, ¼ cup||1.5||5|
|Tuna, canned in water, 3 ounces||0.6||2|
|Spinach, boiled, ½ cup||0.5||2|
|Broccoli, fresh, ½ cup||0.4||1|
|Cheddar cheese, mild, 1 ounce||0.4||1|
|Milk, 2%, 1 cup||0.3||1|
|Plain yogurt, 1 cup||0.2||1|
|Oatmeal, 1 cup||0.2||1|
|Banana, ½ cup||0.2||1|
|Whole wheat bread, 1 slice||0.0||0|
|Apple, ½ cup||0.0||0|
Table 1: Selected Food Sources of Biotin 
How you can absorb nutrients in a better way?
You must know that there are 2 types of nutrients that you consume from food that are micronutrients and macronutrients.
The micronutrients are important vitamins and minerals. They help your body to perform the function and won’t provide any calories. The different body functions are development and cell growth with the human life-cycle.
The macronutrients are essential for our body; as it provides the Carbohydrates, fats, and proteins to our body. It is the energy source to the body that provides calories.
The absorption of nutrients is done in the small intestine and also the absorption of the nutrients may vary according to the biotin daily requirement of your body. The body absorbs the nutrients from food in a ratio between 10% to 90%. If you see the food labels on the food you are consuming does not mean that your body will consume the whole percentage. You must improve your nutrient absorption to absorb all the nutrients properly according to the label of the food.
Tips and tricks to absorb nutrients in a better way
There are some suggestions to improve the absorption of nutrients in your body that are:-
- Add a lot of lemon to your salad. Lemon is Vitamin C that helps you in absorbing the iron from the plants in your body
- Vitamin D from the sunlight or food is good to absorb the Calcium in a better way
- Consume healthy fats like olive oil and avocado to your dishes for the absorption of Vitamin K, E, D, and A. You can also have fish in your food daily
- The tomato ketchup or sauce is rare that beats the real tomatoes. Carotenoids that absorb better with the fat after cooking are powerful antioxidants.
Variations of Biotin
1. Biotin Tablets-
a. How does Biotin Tablet work?
When you Swallowed a Biotin Tablet or Biotin pills then it goes into your stomach and starts absorbing into the blood. Then it goes to your small intestine and then to your liver. It is distributed all over your body and reaches its place where it is required. If it is extra according to the requirement of your body then it flushes out of your body through urine.
b. What are the ways to use Biotin Tablets?
When you take a Biotin tablet with water then it goes to your stomach. It starts breaking down the tablet and then the medicine dissolves with your bloodstream. Some particles won’t break into your stomach then it goes to the small intestine and then it breaks and mixes with your bloodstream. The blood supplies the medicine nutrients to your body where required. This is the whole working process of the tablet when you consume it.
2. Biotin Capsules-
a. How do Biotin Capsules work?
The capsules are of 2 types hard or soft capsules. The biotin capsules generally come in hard capsules. The capsules are made of gelatine and are tasteless. You have to swallow the Biotin capsule using water. Then the capsule’s shell dissolves in the stomach and the medicine releases from it in the stomach or intestine. The medicine then mixes with the bloodstream and goes to the destination where required.
b. What is the way to consume Biotin Capsules?
The best way to take a biotin capsule is to swallow it with water. Take the dosage of 1-2 biotin capsules daily after your meals. You can also take it after your doctor’s prescription if you are having some serious issues or already on your medication.
3. Biotin Oil
When you take biotin in the form of oil that is also beneficial. You use the oil on your scalp and massage it for few minutes and then leave it for some time.
a. How does Biotin Oil work?
- Apply the Biotin oil on your scalp and massage with it properly as you do with the normal oils. The Hair has some brokerage with that oil absorbs in the hairs.
- The benefits of Biotin oil are:-
- It prevents the dryness of the hair
- Enhances the smoothness of the hair
- Makes your hair shiny
- Improves the hair health
- Relaxes your body and mind
b. What are the ways to use Biotin Oil?
There are few ways to use the oil that is explained here so that you get to know about it correctly and then
- You must oil your hair before shampoo that is the best time to do the oiling in your hairs. You have to leave your hair for at least 2 to 12 hours after applying the oil. The oil helps to prevent the loss of proteins, dehydration, and buffer or protects your hair from the detergent and water.
- Leave the oil for a longer time but not more than 24 hours for better work otherwise it starts collecting dust that damages your hairs
- You can also add the Biotin oil to your intense conditioning treatment
- The oil is the not only thing that works you also have to take care of the things that you do to your hair, you eat, you drink, the routine of your daily life, etc.
4. Biotin Gummies
a. How do Biotin Gummies work?
The gummies are more beneficial as per their consumption. The consumption is done by chewing it and it starts dissolving when coming in contact with saliva in the mouth and then go throughout the body. It gives the best bio-availability than any other form of biotin variations.
b. What is the way to consume Biotin Gummies?
The biotin gummies can be consumed easily as you have to just take it and it. It is chewable and has good taste. You have to take it daily at the same time. The consumption of gummies depends on the product dosage or as prescribed by your doctor or any other physician.
5. Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner
a. How do Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner work?
The Shampoos have detergents so they work as surfactants. This helps to lower the tension of water and able to bind with oils. There is a part of detergent that is hydrophobic that helps to bind the molecules to the sebum coating hair or any oily products of styling. When you rinse the hair it is swept away by the water and also take sebum with it. Sebum is a waxy or oily substance that is produced by the sebaceous gland that protects, moisturize, and coat your skin.
So, the biotin shampoo and conditioner has the ingredient of biotin that coats your hair and helps to make the keratin that is important for your hairs, and removes the extra oil from your hairs and scalp. It provides biotin to your body. After shampooing you have to use conditioner, as shampoo contains cleansing agents and conditioner nourishes, hydrate, provide proteins to your hairs.
One study  shows that the women took part in the competition of using biotin shampoo and after 90 days; the women using the biotin shampoo notices improvements in their hair growth. This means you have to use this continuously for few months to get the best results.
b. What are the ways to use Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner?
- Firstly, saturate your hair with warm or normal water but not the hot water
- Take an amount of Biotin Shampoo in the jar of water and then dilute it
- Now use the diluted water on your hair
- Take care to pay attention to the scalp or roots
- Massage the shampoo properly until it lathers
- Also, massage it to the length of your hair
- Then rinse off your hair using the normal or warm water
- Make sure that the shampoo rinse off completely
- Now use the conditioner by taking some amount on your palm
- Then rub it in your hands and then massage it on your hairs length
- Take care not to use conditioner on the scalp or roots
- Wait for 3 to 5 minutes on your hairs
- In the end, rinse it off with normal water.
Note- For drying the hair gently use the towel to remove the water from your hairs.
6. Biotin Powder
a. How does Biotin Powder work?
The Biotin powder works the same. You have to take it in the liquid form whether in milk or water. When you drink the biotin power then it goes to your stomach first and starts digesting. Then it goes to the small intestine and then mixes to the bloodstream to reach your body parts. In liquid form, it works faster in your body.
b. What are the ways to use Biotin Powder?
You can consume biotin powder with any liquid form like water, milk, juices, etc as prescribed according to the brand. You have to consume the quantity as per the dosage.
Discrepancy: Biotin Tablets vs Biotin Capsules
Tablets provide less biotin because of their complex formulation. The formulation of tablets is done by adding more binding agents and coating to make it a tablet. So, because of too much dilution to form the tablets the ratio of biotin becomes less so when you consume the Biotin tablets you get a very less amount of Biotin in your body.
In comparison, the capsules are much better than the tablets. It has a short process of formulation that provides you more biotin to your body. The simple dilution helps to maintain its level in the biotin capsules. The nutrients are absorbed fast and in a better way from capsules rather than tablets.
For the absorption of nutrients from the tablet in your body, the nutrients in supplements have to pass through the GI (Gastrointestinal) tract intact. As some tablets won’t dissolve or dissolves slowly that results in failure to release specific nutrients to intestinal sites that are crucial.
Advantages of Tablets vs Capsules
|1.||For splitting the dosage, it is possible with scored tablets||Protection for sensitive ingredients and have unique mixes of ingredients|
|2.||It is consumed by multiple demographics when it is chewable tablets||Decreases the irritation of Gastrointestinal|
|3.||A large amount of delivery per serving in products because of compressibility||Delivery of oil and fat-soluble nutrient|
|4.||Dissolution control is done for the extended, quick, and delayed-release||The capsules are sealed using the hard gelatin to protect from oxygen|
|5.||Elegant, widely accepted, custom size, appearance, and shape||Tasteless, odorless, and easy to swallow|
Table 2: Advantages of Biotin Tablets vs Biotin Capsules
Some Tips or Techniques to Take Capsules or Tablets
- Take the water with you then put the pill in your mouth and drink water to swallow the pill
- While swallowing the pill lean forward
- While taking the pill drink water using a bottle having a narrow opening
- Use the cup or straw that is specially designed for pill swallowing
- Coat your pill with edible gel lubricant or spray
- Take the pill with semi-liquid food.
Overuse of Biotin or overdose
It is tough to overdose as the biotin won’t store in your body. Your body flushes out the extra biotin or Vitamin B through Urine. There is no evidence that the high dosage of biotin is harmful to the human body. But there is evidence for the high biotin dosage for over usage of an overdose of biotin can mess with the hormones.
How Biotin is Safe?
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that won’t store in your body. The dosage is taken through the mouth either it is an adult or a child. The dosage varies according to the age of the adult and child. In general, there is no RDA established for the biotin. The chart above shows that what is the good adequate intakes for a child to adult and also for pregnant women. If anyone is having biotin deficiency for nails then according to the Mayo Clinic  the person has to take upto 10 mg is equal to 10000 mcg as a daily dosage.
Caution- It is not recommended by any doctor so before consuming the biotin dosage does connect with your physician and take the biotin as prescribed. In the case of infants or children, it is mandatory to consult your doctor.
What Biotin Dosage should we take?
Recommended Biotin Intakes
- Adequate Intake (AI)- When you take biotin at this level is to ensure the adequacy of nutrition that is established when there is insufficient evidence to develop the RDA
- Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL)- The maximum intakes of biotin on daily basis not likely to cause the inauspicious health effects
- Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)- the daily average intake is enough to meet the requirements of nutrients around (97% to 98%) for all healthy individuals
- Estimated Average Requirement (EAR)- The estimated intake according to the average daily dose to meet 50% of the requirement of healthy individuals.
The FNB found that the average dosage recommended by RDA and EAR is not sufficient; so FNB established only Adequate Intakes (Ais) for biotin. 
|Category (Age)||Biotin Dosage|
|0 to 6 months||5 mcg per day|
|7 to 12 months||6 mcg per day|
|1 to 3 years||8 mcg per day|
|4 to 8 years||12 mcg per day|
|9 to 13 years||20 mcg per day|
|14 to 18 years||25 mcg per day|
|19 years or above||30 mcg per day|
|Pregnant Women||30 mcg per day|
|Breastfeeding Women (Lactation)||35 mcg per day|
Table 3: Biotin dosage according to the age 
Note- MCG is a microgram that is the SI unit of Biotin. It is also calculated in the mg that is the milligram. For example 10 mg = 10000 mcg.
Biotin Interactions with Food, Supplements, and Medicine
1. Biotin Interactions with Food- In food when you consume raw egg white, it binds to biotin in your intestine and also keeps it away from being absorbed. If you eat raw egg whites more than to on daily basis for few months cause you to biotin deficient that is serious and you also notice symptoms
2. Biotin Interactions with Supplements
- If you take Vitamin B5 and biotin together can reduce the body’s absorption o the other
- When you consume biotin or Alpha-Lipoic acid together then it also reduces the body’s absorption of other
3. Biotin Interactions with Medicine
- Your liver broke down or change the medications. The biotin increases the process of the liver for breaking medications. When you take the biotin with some other medications that are changed by the liver may lower the effects of some of the other medications. In case of consuming any of the medicine that is changed or breakdown by the liver first consult your physician before taking biotin supplements.
- Here is the name of some medications that are changed by the liver. Check first if you take any. The medications are- zolmitriptan (Zomig), zileuton (Zyflo), theophylline, tacrine (Cognex), propranolol (Inderal), pentazocine (Talwin), olanzapine (Zyprexa), mexiletine (Mexitil), imipramine (Tofranil), haloperidol (Haldol), fluvoxamine (Luvox), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), clozapine (Clozaril), and many more.
Special Warnings and Precautions
- In case of an inherited condition in which your body won’t process biotin; the person needs extra biotin
- The people who do smoking have low biotin levels and need to take a biotin supplement
- For Pregnancy and Breast Feeding women’s, biotin is safe to use in a limited dosage that is prescribed by your doctor
- Extra biotin is required for the people who receive kidney dialysis by asking their health providers
- The biotin is also safe for children when consumes according to the prescription of a physician.
. Staggs CG, Sealey WM, McCabe BJ, Teague AM, Mock DM. Determination of the biotin content of select foods using accurate and sensitive HPLC/avidin binding. Journal of food composition and analysis: an official publication of the United Nations University, International Network of Food Data Systems 2004;17:767-76. [PubMed abstract]
. A 3-Month, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Ability of an Extra-Strength Marine Protein Supplement to Promote Hair Growth and Decrease Shedding in Women with Self-Perceived Thinning Hair (hindawi.com)
. Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes: Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline . Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1998.